Escape the hustle and bustle of the big city and join this Spirit of Oxford Cruise from Folly Bridge in Oxford city center and up the river. Just sit down and listen to your skipper’s insightful information and funny anecdotes about the river and the history of that particular area. Feel free to ask him anything! On this tour you will:
- discover quiet residential suburbs and splendid areas throughout the English countryside, passing Binsey and the stunning Port Meadow
- understand why the untouched landscape was a source of inspiration for many of Oxford’s favourite novelists such as Lewis Carroll, C.S. Lewis, Evelyn Waugh and Gerard Manly Hopkins
- dive into a natural landscape far from the touristic areas and into some of Oxford’s most beautiful and genuine scenery
- see Port Meadow, a large area of land, has remained almost unchanged since prehistoric times and offers a wide variety of plants and birds in their natural habitat
- see Godstow which was the favourite destination of Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll, who is famous for such novels as 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'
- spot the site of Trout Island there: it was an inspiration for another of Oxford's literary icons, C.S. Lewis, and his stories of the land of Narnia
- see famous landmarks such as Christchurch Meadows and College, the University Regatta Course, the College Boat Houses and Folly Island
This cruise usually takes place in an elegant Edwardian style River Launches. These vessels, with their beautiful lines and teak interiors, evoke the pleasures of a bygone era when life moved at a slower pace. The boats use the latest zero emission fully electric propulsion to ensure that your outing has the smallest possible environmental impact.